Week 2: Frustración y Respiración

Study abroad, when it only existed as a thing I could live vicariously through others, seemed to be this utopian approach to only enjoying the best parts of college, surrounded by wonderful people and wonderful situations and wonderfullness all around.

The reality is, study abroad isn't some effervescent always-sunny period of time to be euphemised. Don't get me wrong, this isn't to say that I hate everything here and it's all terrible, either. This is to say that, as with any experience, there is nuance. There is a nuance that I wish more people were transparent to showing, as to help the next group of folks to walk through. And though I can't control how others communicate their time abroad, it's a goal of mine to do just that.

This week has been...interesting. It started off with quite a bang -- I sprained my ankle on Sunday. We went to a ranch (or 'estancia') in the countryside of Argentina, to ride horses and enjoy other various delicious meats home to the country. Long story short: the stirrup for my horse was pretty high, my leg is not long by any merit, and my ankle was the bearer of my whole body weight.

Monday was my first day of 'work.' I use that punctuation because it wasn't exactly a true work day. I met with my supervisors and my school advisors to go over my schedule, my expectations, and overall duties. For those of you who don't know, I'll be doing communications and social media work for two NGOs, En Buenas Manos and Asociasión Miserando. En Buenas Manos is an org that works to provide resources for disabled folks so that they can live fulfilling lives as the rest of us who do so often without thought. Simple acts such as going to get dinner are so catered to able-bodied people that we often ignore marginalized experiences. One of EBM's intiatives, for example, is to offer a dining experience for hearing disabled Argentinians. Asociasión Miserando (or just Miserando for short), works to provide resources to homeless Argentinians. Some of these resources include showers, meals, haircuts, and more. If you ask me? It's pretty lit, but if you remember my last post, I talked about how Argentine work culture differs from that in the States. So whereas if I were starting an internship in the U.S. I would have concrete work days and hours and daily responsibilities? Not so much here. Like, I basically get to work from home/a cafe some days during the week, and I really make up my own work hours. Not to mention, social media and digital work is very "plan it yourself." Cool, right? Well, yes. But in a foreign country and as my first time speaking Spanish this regularly, all of this freedom is a little bit unnerving. What if they don't like what I end up creating? How will I know if I'm wasting my time on something they don't want me to do? It's definitely a process, as I want to show my skills and talent, but not exactly knowing where to start.

I woke up this week pretty nervous about taking the bus by myself to go find a "casa de cambio," but to my joyful surprise I got there and back with ease! Lesson? Stop doubting yourself! And stop forgetting who you are & what you are capable of.

Other cool things worth noting:
  • Cooked my first dinner and fell in love again with cutting, sautéing, and the smell of butter and onions in a pan. Cooking can be therapeutic.
  • Remembered why it is always, always important to be a good friend. No matter how many miles separate you. Check in with your squad. 
  • Reminded myself that there are always reasons to smile in the midst of the storm. Don't get me wrong, I'm taking the storm head on. But I refuse to let it steal my joy.
And so, that is why I've decided to title this week's post the equivalent of "frustrations and breathing," because both are innate to humanity. They don't exist in separate vacuums.
---

This week's photos!

Rode a polo horse on the country side with a sprained ankle?

I got Mississippi roots, something about green grass and acres of land just...gets me
Had to do it for the yellow wall

La Estancia, featuring Scott

My 'work desk,' aka the terrace of my apartment
*adds to instances of more Black people included in imagery than actually in the country*. Heads up, I did NOT buy this brand of flour.

First meal I've cooked since being here! Veggie stirfry with carrots, broccoli, potatoes, rice, and a DIY sauce! Delish!

Now this is a story all about how this cheesecake was sooooo bad and the only redeeming quality of this meal was a daiquiri  I finished too quickly.
Until next time,

XoXo
-Si

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter for Kay: Advice to New College Students

Bienvenidos a Argentina: Be Kind to Yourself

Tell The World That I'm Coming....