We Fall Down, But We Get Up

"Cling to those you love. Be dedicated to the future you deserve. And, chile, enjoy some chicken & waffles along the way."

Right now, I sit almost 6,000 miles away from my various "homes" as the U.S. inaugurates its newest President. Despite Twitter's oh so alluring opportunity to watch Live...ya girl is opting for a swift no. My timelines are filled with a nuance - some folks are in all Black, referring today as one of 'mourning' the 'loss' of Obama, while others are critically reflecting on the Obama presidency and his actions within the larger nationalistic state. And me? Perched on a sofa, with the same worries I had yesterday, and the same tenacity to plan and resist for tomorrow.

And the tomorrow after that, too.

This week has been embodied by any video you've seen with someone slipping on a banana peel. But it's also been embodied by shimmering gold sunlight.

Some news: I'm going to Uruguay (with the rest of my cohort. I know better than to go alone, dad)! I know, I can't believe it either. Especially after being screwed over by NU financial aid and not having enough for the ticket when the plans were being made. <---- Banana peel moment

But even within these short few weeks, I have already made some great connections with some of the other students. So when I was transparent about my current situation, a friend met me halfway to help make it happen without breaking my bank. I literally sat in my room amazed at the kindness of others. Amazed that, despite all the $%#@!& the school throws at me, there is still joy. There is still light. So, this girl is getting another stamp on her passport!

I've seen these specs of light all throughout the week after various instances have tried to play "joy stealer." My on-site advisor, after I spoke briefly about some of my worries at work, set up a meeting and legitimately sat on the phone with me for an hour to help. Instead of letting me sit inside the house for another day, a friend planned a whole day out in the city for some good ol' tourism. My supervisor has been so patient with me and my Spanish every day. This may not seem like a lot, but darkeness + anxiety can do some wonders. Simply, all of these acts of kindness have reminded me to be that person for someone else. Regularly.

And, this week especially, as each day led meant being closer to the U.S. inaugurating a Cheeto Snack as the Commander-in-Chief, I repeatedly refused to let that allow a blockage. The overruling systems exist as the same. The political hierarchy exists as the same. My creation(s), my self-care, my resistance must grow as does the perennial in the Spring. I owe this to myself, my respective communities, and my ancestors. And, to me, that's the beauty of nuance. Smiles can go hand-in-hand with grit. Softness can be buddy-buddy with fuerzo. Creation can thrive in the presence of dismantlement. Self-love needs a lil' community organizing. Don't get me twisted here, I am not turning a face to the work that has to be done. I am honoring Mother Angela in remembering that Freedom is a Constant Struggle (click to purchase). Our work didn't begin today and it won't begin tomorrow (and if for you it is just beginning...well...) I am honoring Mother Maya in remembering that, even as one, we represent all that have come before us. Thus, we march for the mothers who honored us before there was "us." This work is work, yes. But we are allowed to define how it manifests for ourselves. Cling to those you love. Be dedicated to the future you deserve. And, chile, enjoy some chicken & waffles along the way. We are allowed to shape and mold it to fit our mental and our emotional and our political. We are allowed to dress it up, to make it real.

And all that jazz 😉.

And so I'm looking all my banana peels (or cheeto puffs, you choose) in the eye and throwing a little extra glitter today. If you see my trail, don't hesitate to join me.

---

This week's photos!

The White House been on games for 500 years. The Pink House though?.....Also been on games.

What's that? Sorry, I'll address it after this orange juice

Look up Sierra, say cheese!

"I tried to drink it awaaaaaaaaayyyyyy..."

Here you will see a young creative in her natural habitat

Whoops, sorry girl. Hope your photo came out nice though!


I got sunshine on a cloudy day...the sunshine is me!

Person of color meets sidewalk of color.

Fact: I finished this empanada in 3 bites

Some shots from the botanical gardens with le Polaroid!

This week's dinner W: ravioli with cream sauce made from scratch! SEAUX GOOD

Dashiki's drive me marbles

LOL

Purple pride was admittedly low this week. But purple wildlife was still on 10.


I honestly don't even know what the name of this statue is fam.

YouTube video HERE.

Until next time,

XoXo
-Si

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter for Kay: Advice to New College Students

Bienvenidos a Argentina: Be Kind to Yourself

Tell The World That I'm Coming....