With Solace


breathe in

remember when i cut you with arts n' crafts scissors
back in 2nd grade
and momma beat me good for it (oh she did)

remember?

remember when i burnt you
every day
with those cheap flat ironS
and somehow
you still loved me

remember?

breathe out
breathe in

remember when that lady
at JC Penny
cut you
and cut you
until there was almost no more of you?

some "big chop"

remember?

remember when i cried in my closet
i thought our relationship was done
i thought we were no more
and somehow
you still loved me 

breathe out

and i ran from you
i hid from you

breathe in

until i stopped

breathe out

remember?

remember when we began this journey
and i looked a hot mess
but somehow
you still loved me

breathe in
breathe out

somehow
you still loved me
and i grew to love you
and i grew
and you grew

breathe in

time spent with you is not time on earth
it's time of discovery. self-love. beautiful frustration. miserable successes.
time spent with you is a space of solace

breathe out

and here we are
and i still don't miss earth yet

and somehow
you still manage
to love me

I am 3 years natural today! I'm so proud of this journey I've traveled with learning my hair and ultimately learning a lil' somethin somethin about myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter for Kay: Advice to New College Students

Bienvenidos a Argentina: Be Kind to Yourself

Tell The World That I'm Coming....